The Difference Between Home Insurance and Flood Insurance

It is important to know the difference between Home Insurance Vs. Flood Insurance

It is important to know that home insurance does not cover flooding due to natural disasters. Fire, theft and wind coverage may be obtained on a home policy, however, Flood coverage is a policy that is separate from home insurance coverage.

Home Insurance does not cover Flooding due to natural disaster. Flood Insurance needs to be purchased to cover this type of peril.

HOME, INSURANCE, FLOOD, INSURANCEWhen it comes to the State of Florida, hurricanes are one of the major perils that can have a severe impact on Florida homeowners. With hurricanes come tornadoes, high winds, storm surge, and flooding. When it comes to flooding it is important to know that as mandated by the State of Florida, there is a 30 day wait period to obtain coverage. This means that in order to have flood insurance coverage you must have requested for coverage more than 30 days beforehand.

Home Insurance provides coverage for water damage due to broken pipes and flooding from inside the home. However, it does not cover flooding due to storm surge, hurricane, tropical storm or torrential down pour.

Are you in a flood zone?

Most people do not purchase flood insurance unless they are in a flood zone, however, flood insurance may be obtained regardless. It is important to speak with your agent to determine if you are located in a flood zone.

To speak with an agent at Gould to determine your home insurance and flood insurance needs feel free to give us a call at (386) 734 3970



Call us today for a free no obligation quote 386 734 3970

Have a question? Fill in the form below and an independent insurance agent will contact you.



201 N. Woodland Blvd.
DeLand, FL 32720
Phone: 386-734-3970


Mon: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Tues: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Wed: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Thurs: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Fri: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Sat: Closed
Sun: Closed