Flood Insurance is an important aspect of home ownership in the state of Florida. Here are some basic safety tips for pre-flood preparation.
- If possible avoid building your home in a floodplain.
- Construct barriers such as levees, beams, and flood walls in order to prevent floodwater from entering your home.
- Seal the walls in your basement with waterproof compounds to avoid seepage.
- If a flood is in your area, listen to the local news or radio for information and updates.
- It is important to know the difference between a flood watch and a flood warning. A Flood Watch means that flooding is possible whereas a Flood Warning means that flooding is occurring or will occur soon.
When Flooding is imminent
- If you are advised to evacuate, do so immediately.
- If there is a chance of flash flooding, move to higher grounds.
- Bring in outdoor furniture.
- Disconnect electrical appliances.
What to do during a flood
- It is important to not walk through moving water, all it takes is 6 inches to make you fall.
- If it is necessary to walk through water, be sure to walk through water that is sitting still and not flowing. Use a stick to check the firmness of the ground.
- Do not drive through flooded areas.
- Do not touch electrical appliances if you are standing in water or are wet.
For a free quote on flood insurance call Gould today at (386) 734 3970